This project involved the provision of 2 small extensions to an existing VEC school to double the floor area of the existing Woodwork and Metalwork rooms.
The facilities for the teaching of Woodwork and Metalwork contained in the existing 1950’s structure did not meet modern curriculum requirements. The strategy adopted was to plug 2 simple boxes into the external wall of each room. This approach allowed for the works to be carried out during the Summer holidays with minimal disruption to the existing structure.
The Woodwork box provides a machine and preparation area and the Metalwork box provides an area for saws and lathes. A series of rooflights at the junction between old and new provide additional daylight to the deeper plan layout. The boxes are given a simple expression externally within a limited budget, comprising panels of profiled metal cladding and cedar cladding.